Piazza Silvestri



Indietro
    Piazza Silvestri

    It is the central Piazza of Bevagna. It is irregularly shaped and paved with big stone slabs and retains  the main monuments of the town.

    On one side is the church of San Michele Arcangelo built in the 12th century by Master Binello with the help of Master Rodolfo. It was modified during the baroque period and again restored in 1953-54 to bring it back to its original medieval splendour. On the other side of the piazza is the church of San Silvestro also built by Master Binello in the 12th century to counterbalance S. Michele. The façade has remained unfinished and the bell tower was never built.  The church of San Domenico and blessed Giacomo also opens onto the Piazza. It was built in 1291 together with the adjoining cloister and keeps in its interior the urn with the body of blessed Giacomo Bianconi.


    The Palace of the Consuls was built in 1270 as the seat of the town's magistrates and has a lovely porch and an ample staircase that leads to the first floor. It is now the seat of the Teatro Torti built in 1866. Opposite the Palazzo of the Consuls is the lovely fountain built in 1889 in perfect Romanesque style.